What does IRHSA do?
The Indian River Homeschoolers Association, Inc. is a Christian-based organization that provides support to homeschoolers in Indian River County and the surrounding area.
Our purpose and mission are the following:
- To provide moral support and encouragement to parents who desire to home educate their children.
- To share information and exchange ideas in every way possible with parents who choose to home educate.
- To stay informed of and encourage participation in issues affecting the rights of home educators.
- To provide social and educational opportunities in the form of various gatherings, events, classes, and co-ops.
How much does the IRHSA membership cost?
The IRHSA membership begins on August 1, 2015 for the 2015/2016 school year. The membership price is $40. If you sign up anytime during the month of August, you will receive an early bird discount of $5 (for a total price of $35). The 2015/2016 membership ends on July 31, 2016. You will need to renew and pay for your membership after August 1, 2016 for the new 2016/2017 school year.
What does my membership include?
Your membership includes many benefits including but not limited to:
Access to IRHSA sponsored events: These events include co-ops, play groups, field trips, field day, IOWA testing, spelling bee, Father/Daughter Banquet, Mother/Son Banquet, kindergarten and senior graduation and much more! View all of our events.
Communication and support: When you become a member of IRHSA you are automatically connected to the IRHSA email loop. Through the email loop you have access to a wealth of support, encouragement, resources and knowledge from other homeschooling families.
Conversations and questions asked on the email loop might include information about field trips, co-op and event information, curriculum, books for sale, classes, tutors and evaluators. Many homeschooling families ask questions to receive reviews, advice and encouragement from other homeschooling families. The email loop and IRHSA Facebook Group (available only to IRSHA members) are wonderful ways to connect with other homeschooling families.
Membership Discount program: Your IRHSA membership entitles you to in-store and website discounts within our community. View the listing of stores and websites that offer membership discounts. Your membership also entitles you to $10 off an FPEA membership.
View the complete list of membership discounts and benefits here.
How do I receive my FPEA discount?
All IRHSA members receive a $10 discount on membership in Florida Parent Educators Association (FPEA). After you become an IRHSA member, you will receive a discount code, located inside your IRHSA account to use during the FPEA checkout process.
FPEA provides additional benefits such as discounts to their annual FPEA convention, membership to Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA), stores such as Staples, Office Depot, Books-A-Million and more. To join FPEA click here.
IRHSA is a Christian-based organization. What does that mean to me?
We are a 501c4 non-profit organization. We welcome expressions of Christian faith during our meetings and events. Individuals are not required to profess or sign a statement of faith to be a member of IRHSA.
Our purpose and our mission are to provide support and encouragement to all homeschooling families within our local community.
For more information about our organization, please read our Purpose and Mission Statement and our Statement of Faith.
How do I become a member?
Any homeschooling family is welcome to join IRHSA. IRHSA is accepting new members and membership renewals after August 1, 2015. To become a member click the “Join Now” button on the top right of our homepage or register here.
What is the email loop? How do I join and unsubscribe to the email loop?
Once you become a member, your name is automatically added to our IRHSA member email loop. After you receive your first email from the e-loop, you will be able to send emails and contribute to the conversation.
The e-loop is designed to support, encourage and inform IRHSA members of pertinent information relating to homeschoolers.
Here are some general e-loop topics and subjects you might receive from the group:
- Information about field trips, events, co-ops;
- Information about classes, teachers, tutors, evaluators;
- Curriculums, books, etc. for sale;
- Any questions that you may want advice about;
- Any other information that is homeschool-related.
Be sure to include your email address in the CC or BCC box to receive your email into your inbox.
How do I update my information?
To update your account information, click the “My Account” button on the main navigation bar. Inside your account, on the “My Account Dashboard” under “My Information,” click the “Update Information” or “Change Password” button.
I’m new to Homeschooling, how can you help me?
Welcome to your exciting journey of homeschooling! Our mission and purpose are to support and encourage homeschooling families and to provide resources and educational opportunities for new and veteran homeschoolers.
- We provide the following opportunities to help support new homeschooling families:
Download legal forms to stay compliant with the Florida Homeschooling Laws.
- Attend one of our monthly Newcomers meetings. These meetings cover all the necessary legal requirements for homeschooling along with helpful tips on how to start homeschooling. Anyone interested in homeschooling is welcome to attend these informative meetings which address questions and concerns relating to homeschooling.
- Join our Mentoring Program designed to help new homeschoolers connect with other homeschooling families, and provide support through resources and community activities. Our Coaches give guidance and encouragement on the homeschooling process, problem-solving, time-management, curriculum choices, portfolio maintenance and any other area related to homeschooling.
- Read our information booklets on homeschooling:
- Meet other homeschooling moms at our Mom’s Night Out gatherings. These gatherings are designed for homeschooling moms to come together for a fun and casual night to talk and encourage one another.
- Support and encourage yourself and your family by joining a co-op, play group, field trip or one of our other many events. Log into your online IRHSA account to view a list of our community resources and events.
Are there any membership responsibilities?
Members are not required to participate in any IRHSA events, but all events are member-led. First-time homeschoolers are encouraged to focus on their families for the first year. After they feel comfortable with the homeschooling routine, members are welcome to lead activities.
Can I start a new co-op or an activity?
Yes! We welcome and encourage our community members to start new co-ops or activities. All of our IRHSA coordinators are volunteers. If you are interested in starting a co-op or organizing an event, please contact the IRHSA President or one of the IRHSA Board Members.